Warning: Missing argument 2 for wpdb::prepare(), called in /home/psq/nanorails.com/wp-content/themes/canvas/functions/admin-functions.php on line 947 and defined in /home/psq/nanorails.com/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1154
Mephisto Theme Gallery | nanoRAILS

Mephisto Theme Gallery

What started as a 5 minutes hack a few weeks ago is now a reality. I’ve put together a new gallery, and unlike many other galleries, you get to see all the existing themes for Mephisto as they would appear in a real Mephisto installation, because that’s where they all run. All sites show the same content, which makes it really easy to find out how each one treats sections, static pages, comments, sidebars, etc.

To the best of my knowledge, this is the most extensive collection of Mephisto designs to date! It contains 34 templates (and would contain more if it was not for the fact that the license did not allow for free redistribution).

Some may require extra Mephisto plugins such as the ERB, Erubis or HAML renderers. Speaking of HAML, I’m going to be releasing a new template within a few days to demonstrate how you can use the HAML renderer for Mephisto.

I’m also officially introducing a new Mephisto theme: Cutline, very accurately translated from the original Cutline Template by Chris Pearson. This is a gorgeous design, with a clean layout, plenty of white space and very precise typography.

I’ll be posting some more details in the following days about why that 5 minutes hack turned out into a much bigger project, but I think the result is quite impressive, and a hats off to Rick for creating an impressive blog engine.

Tags: , ,

19 Responses to “Mephisto Theme Gallery”

1. cies breijs March 19, 2007 at 3:40 am #

question:

does mephisto handle pictures in the text? and if yes; maybe content can contain a picture (or two) demonstrating how well the themes handle include pictures.

2. Justin Palmer March 19, 2007 at 3:40 am #

Awesome work! I didn’t realize that many Mephisto themes existed.

3. Pascal March 19, 2007 at 3:40 am #

cies, this is an excellent idea! I’ll add a few pictures. In the meantime, you can look in the Themes section, I started adding posts with updates (already!) to the existing themes, or even new themes (like [micro.tabbed](http://mephisto-themes.nanorails.com/gallery?theme=micro-tabbed) )

4. Pascal March 19, 2007 at 3:40 am #

Hello Justin, and let me take this opportunity to thank you for your work on Mephisto! Awesome UI and look.
    Indeed, many themes, and more coming, it looks like.

5. Sacha March 19, 2007 at 3:40 am #

Hi Pascal
    Thanks for your work … used the Integral theme for Mephisto and it worked like a charm.

Tip: Add the RSS feed directive to the HTML HEAD to the layout.liquid page:
    `

`

6. Pascal March 19, 2007 at 3:40 am #

Thank you, Sacha. I’ll tweak the version I have and add the feed information.

To give credit where credit is due, you can thank [The Rails Grunt](http://www.railsgrunt.com/mephisto-themes) for porting this theme to Mephisto.

7. Nathan March 19, 2007 at 3:40 am #

Just a notice: as of Haml 1.7, due out in mid-to-late June, Haml::Engine does entirely internal caching of templates. Thus, the “do\_include” method’s management of precompiled templates in mephisto\_haml\_templates won’t be necessary when that’s released.

8. Pascal March 19, 2007 at 3:40 am #

Thanks for the heads up Nathan. I’ll update the plugin when haml 1.7 is released. This will simplify the logic :)

9. Sergio B March 19, 2007 at 3:40 am #

Thank you for the plugins and themes. However I’m having a bit of trouble. I installed your erb_template plugin and the Cutline theme and I’m getting this error.

I’m wondering if you have any idea what could be causing it.

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/active_record/base.rb:1235:in `method_missing’: undefined method `register_template_handler’ for Site:Class (NoMethodError)
    from /var/www/sergiobayona/mephisto-0.7.3/config/../vendor/plugins/mephisto_erb_templates/init.rb:25:in `register_erb_registration’
    from /var/www/sergiobayona/mephisto-0.7.3/config/../vendor/plugins/mephisto_erb_templates/init.rb:17:in `send’
    from /var/www/sergiobayona/mephisto-0.7.3/config/../vendor/plugins/mephisto_erb_templates/init.rb:17:in `after_method’
    from /var/www/sergiobayona/mephisto-0.7.3/config/../vendor/plugins/mephisto_erb_templates/init.rb:21:in `after_reset_application’
    from /var/www/sergiobayona/mephisto-0.7.3/config/../vendor/plugins/mephisto_erb_templates/init.rb:24:in `load_plugin’
    from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/initializer.rb:401:in `load_plugin’
    from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/active_support/core_ext/kernel/reporting.rb:11:in `silence_warnings’
    … 18 levels…
    from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.0.1/lib/mongrel/command.rb:211:in `run’
    from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.0.1/bin/mongrel_rails:243
    from /usr/bin/mongrel_rails:16:in `load’
    from /usr/bin/mongrel_rails:16

10. Pascal March 19, 2007 at 3:40 am #

My guess is that you are not using the svn version of Mephisto. The erb plugin will not work with 0.7.3

11. Sergio B March 19, 2007 at 3:40 am #

Yup. That worked. Thanks Pascal.

12. Nathan March 19, 2007 at 3:40 am #

Haml 1.7 has been released, as of Saturday.

13. Pascal March 19, 2007 at 3:40 am #

Thanks Nathan, just read about it in my feeds. I’ll see about testing/updating the haml template renderer over the coming weekend

14. Jack March 19, 2007 at 3:40 am #

Howdy. I’m trying to set up a Mephisto install with erb templates, but I keep getting an error revolving around the “reset_application!” method. I’m wondering if you might share the edge versions of Mephisto and Rails that you used? or, even better, offer an already-setup Mephisto install that one might be able to check out?

I’m just having a hell of a time getting all of this running.

Jack

15. Pascal March 19, 2007 at 3:40 am #

Jack,

this was using rails 1.2.3 and Mephisto 2751 or so. If you are using edge rails, reset\_application! is gone and may be replaced by reload_application but I have not tried it yet. I will shortly.

16. Pascal March 19, 2007 at 3:40 am #

Well, it was a bit more than just pointing to reload_application as some methods moved from class to instance.

I’ve committed a version of the erb plugin that work with rails 2.0 and mephisto edge (not quite the latest, but what I had on hand) which should be close enough.

17. Jack March 19, 2007 at 3:40 am #

Great, I’ll take a look. Thanks for both the plugin and the quick response!

18. Bryan March 19, 2007 at 3:40 am #

Hello, Will the haml plugin work with haml 2.0.0, rails 2.0.2, and mephisto 0.8?

Thanks,

Bryan

19. Pascal March 19, 2007 at 3:40 am #

I don’t know. I did some work a few months back on a more recent version of Mephisto, but have not tried with haml 2.0 and the current 0.8.

From what I know, the biggest unknown is probably on the haml side.

I’d be curious to hear how it fares, or even to take patched :)